Ask a Urologist   »  

I had an MRI of my prostate in May 2017

Excellent

Question
I had an MRI of my prostate in May 2017 that came back negative. I had an MRI of my brain in August 2017 that showed that I had a XXXXXXX stroke. I am scheduled for an MRI of my brain in December 2017 from a different neurologist who is unaware that I already had a brain MRI in August 2017. If I go through and have the December 2017 brain MRI, is it dangerous to have so many (3) MRIs in a relatively short period of time (May - Dec.)?
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

While MRI is considered safe, we don't know the long term consequences of having them frequently, especially if it involves the use of contrast. MRIs do not use radiation like CT scans do. But for many years we thought the effects of the radiation were inconsequential but that has turned out not to be the case.

I strongly recommend that you tell the new neurologist that you already had an MRI just a few months ago. If he/she thinks it is important to track changes since August, then the benefits might outweigh risks. If it is being done again so soon just because your doctor is unaware of the previous MRI, then it is very important that you tell him it has already been done.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.