I had a uti a few weeks ago but had

Question
I had a uti a few weeks ago but had a course of antibiotics and it has cleared up. But have been having sex for the past two weeks. On Friday the condom broke and I took the morning after pill. But still continued to take the pill as normal. But today I have stinging pain when I pee. Is this the uti back again or side effect of normal after pill?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The morning after pill is a high dose of progestin (like progesterone - the main hormone of pregnancy) and it should not cause urinary symptoms.

When you say you continued to take the pill as normal, which pill are you referring to?

Stinging pain without urinary frequency can be from irritation on the outside of the urethra and not necessarily a bladder infection. Is this the location of your pain - in other words pain on the outside as the urine passes versus the pain you had when you were diagnosed with a UTI?

Follow-up: I had a uti a few weeks ago but had 7 minutes later
I'm on the contraceptive pill, the pain I have is when I pass urine.. the pain feels the same as when I had a uti

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
I see. You may have a new UTI or the previous one may not have been completely eliminated.

I recommend going in to be seen and give a urine specimen there. As this possible UTI is so close to the last one, ask them to do a "culture and sensitivity" test. This will establish what bacteria is causing the infection (if there is an infection) and which antibiotics the bacteria is sensitive or resistant to. If the initial "dipstick" urinalysis which is done immediately in the clinic looks like a UTI, they will give you an antibiotic anyway but in a 2-3 days the culture and sensitivity results will be back and you will know if you are on the right one.

Drink cranberry juice and lots of water. Also, for some women it helps to prevent UTIs if you go wash right after sex and urinate ASAP. This will help get rid of bacteria and semen that might have gotten worked into the urethra.

Just a note - if you have been on contraceptive pills for at least 1 pill pack, no need for morning after pill if the condom breaks.

I hope you are feeling better soon.