I got stung by a stingray in the ocean in

Question
I got stung by a stingray in the ocean in the medial ankle area over a week and a half ago. I soaked it hot water. Six hours later the pain was gone but stayed swollen rest of week with some discoloration bruising. Two days ago it swelled up more and is a little red and a little warm. It is stiffer and mildly painful. I don't want this to progress into a bad infection.
I am a chiropractor and work with a podiatrist who can prescribe me an antibiotic. Is there a recommended one by you for this specific situation?
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different types that can be used

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Infection is not common but in can occur in some persons. The bacteria that would be most likely to cause infection are staph aureus and strep but there are also other bacteria that can live in salt or fresh water.

Antibiotics that would cover these bacteria include ----(1) members of the quinolone family of antibiotics eg ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin
(2)doxycycline
(3)bactrim or septra
(4)cefuroxime or other similar antibiotics

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: I got stung by a stingray in the ocean in 9 minutes later
Very helpful. Thanks so much.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
Wishing you the best