I got scratched by a dog. Took rabipur and tetanus injection. Should I continue with vaccination?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i suspect i was bitten by dog on my hand near wrist (I am not sure as I was drunk and being chased by dogs and then I climbed on a wall and jumped to other side). I showed the scratches like marks to doctors and they checked under light and said there are no tooth marks .. these look like something like wire.
I had taken 5 rabipur injection course 4 years back and nothing after that.

I took one rabipur now on same day after 18 hours (The scratches were not washed and now all of it is healed and I just have couple of lines like scars). I took tetanus injection the next day.

After 24 hrs only symptoms I can feel are my leg muscles are little cramped .. no pain no fever

I have two concerns ..
is it ok to take rabipur after around 18 hours? Do i need to take all 5 again this time? If I was not bitten by dog but I do not want to take risk shall i continue with vaccination
if my tetatnus injection was after 36hrs .does it matter. I had taken tetanus injection 4 years back as well
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
I dont see signs of bite too. These are only superficial skin scratches with no affecting subcutaneous tissue. There is some redness around it,but it doesnt mean some serious infection.
First dose of Rabipur can be taken within 48 hours. And then on 3, 7, 14, and 28.days. You should take it till the end when you ve already started, nothing bad will happen.
Tetanus shot must be given within 72 hours after bite. YOu are probably immune to tetanus because immunity last for 10 years.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: I got scratched by a dog. Took rabipur and tetanus injection. Should I continue with vaccination? 1 hour later
Thank you so much doctor. I am asking this question twice today because I am just little anxious with this.

My mouth is keeping really very very dry. not sure why and i am taking a lot of water intake. Is this due to injections? or is it side effect?

I am also having little bit of gastric problems. I did read it comes into side effects of rabipur but as i have history of gastric problems this can be or can not be related.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Hi again.
i think this is more related to your anxiety and stress than to those sideeffects. you really have no reason to worry at all. rabies and tetanus are almost n ever foind today in modern world. it is extremely rare. beside this, you are vaccinated and there is no possibility of infection. you just need to take rest, eat well and drink enough water. all symptoms should stop in a few days. if you experience something more serious such as breathing difficulties, rash, fever or vomiting you should visit doctor.