I got my navel pierced. Noticed lump above the piercing. Should I be concerned?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi- I have had my navel pierced for 16 yrs now. I noticed a lump underneath th skintight above the piercing. It doesn't hurt when I press on it. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 25 minutes later
According to your description it's most probably just a hypertrophic scar tissue ie excessive layers of skin form a bump or scar which is painless and harmless .
There is no need to treat it unless it enlarges , itches , irritates , or shows any signs of infection like pain,tenderness , swelling , redness , pus etc.
However if such painful bump continues to extend beyond the piercing site ie seems to spread then you should get it evaluated by your physician to rule out a keloid which is uncontrolled scarring and which can be treated with steroid local applications and injections .
So as of now it doesn't appear worrisome but do get it evaluated if it continues to grow in size or has any of the above mentioned changes indicating any cyst or infection.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries .