I get blotches on neck and chest whenever I get nervous, excited and upset. How to get relief?

Jul 2012

I get blotchiness on my neck and chest whenever I get nervous, excited, upset, etc. I have researched it and know what causes it, but was wondering if there was anything to treat it. I am on a low dose of metoprolol now for migraine prophylaxsis, but it is not helping. I am 39 and have had this condition ever since high school. It is really starting to affect my social life, as I have two teenage girls in high school and am always attending something that they are in. I would rather just stay home and not have to deal with it, but I know that I cannot do that. I am a very outgoing person, but just cannot seem to get this under control. Thanks so much for your help. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
Am sure inspite of this blotchiness, you are a wonderful person & full of life inferring from your brief write-up. As you have researched this issue & have had it since ever since your high school, i wont speculate too much on it & presume the diagnosis you have at hand is 'urticaria' or 'eczema'.
What i can possibly offer is to suggest that perhaps, just perhaps, metoprolol (anyways not helpful for your migraine by your own admission) can be stopped in favour of another molecule that the doc dealing with your migraine may be happy to suggest! Metoprolol is a B-blocker & as such, is known to preciptiate dermatological conditions most specifically psoriasis & has been documented in urticarias.
Another observation is that you seem to have penicillin allergy. Might i suggest total avoidance of milk & all dairy products including biscuits et al & any other item that may have a smattering of the penicillin..
Doubt endometriosis will have a large role to play but trust you have it under control.
It it ultimately a matter of 'mind over matter'..are there any stressors that cause the flare/ : spouse :) or mother-in-law :). Seriously, we all have stressors but perhaps there is some trigger (a sibling rivalry) that is sparking this phenomenon....perhaps similar flash-backs to your teen years..can only imagine what teenage daughters ' can put you through..have 4 sons this end :)
Have tried to be as intutive as my clinical accumen will permit online. Do hope it has been spot on & you are soon rash-free!
Perhaps, it would be best to close this query & move on if i have managed to point you out in the right direction as this would serve as a 'closure' on the issue subconsciously sincerely wish you good health & a cheery disposition..hv a gr8 day!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: I get blotches on neck and chest whenever I get nervous, excited and upset. How to get relief? 11 hours later
I have also read that putting hemorrhoid cream on neck and chest might help in reducing the blotchiness. Have you ever heard of this? I will try anything at this point. Something else that was mentioned was hypnosis. Don't know what to think about that. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 13 hours later
Hey there XXXXXXX
Please do NOT put hemorrhoid cream on the neck! Hypnosis may not be such a bad idea to relieve the stressors & sail away! Please follow my above advice in addition to the hypnosis et al & am sure you will soon be fine. A positive mind-set is what is required. Is there a spouse or partner in the equation? This person will be best placed to help you out through this. Just because you have had it all your adult life, does not mean that it cannot be dealt with now.
As i said, dont drag this particular query...follow the advice given overleasf blindly, Go with hypnosis (something new worth a try & not gona worsen the situation at best) & get your partner involved in the treatment. I would suggest taking a holiday to a place like India (biased as i live here) & combining medical treatment with a holiday but dont know if you are up to leaving your daughters' behind for a good 2 weeks :) Do consider above options, close this query & move on..sometimes it is best not to dwell long deciding..go with the flow..hypnosis on; hemorrhoid cream..NOT on! Cheers & wish you continued good health!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD