I felt poorly this morning. My Omron home BP/Pulse device

Cardiologist
Question
I felt poorly this morning. My Omron home BP/Pulse device read 145/94 and a pulse of 94. My BP is usually 110/70 or better, my pulse runs somewhat high, 80 or so. I had an ablation for Afib one and one half years ago which was successful. I am not in afib. My BP and pulse have dropped to normal but I have urinated about six times in the last hour. I have not had enough fluids to cause that.
I had my prostate removed in March after a cancer diagnosis but my PSA is undetectable.
My only medication is a daily 325 mg aspirin.
Any thoughts
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that you had a general unpleasant feeling and increased urine frequency, the first thought to consider would be an acute inflammation/infection; most likely a urinary tract infection, especially if you have other associated symptoms like burning during urination, fever, or even color changing urine.

Another option could be urinary stones that produce urinary tract irritation, increased diuresis and frequent urinary infection.

In order to investigate in such direction, considering the fact that you have a previous history urinary tract intervention, a careful medical investigation of the urinary tract is recommended.

Coming to this point, several medical tests are recommended:

- complete blood count,
- PCR & ESR,
- PSA,
- Complete urine test,
- urinary tract ultrasound and if necessary,
- microbiological urine culture

Another alternative for increased urination frequency could be increased stimuli over kidney fluid secretion.

In cases of atrial fibrillation episodes (sometimes non-symptomatic), may result increased natriuretic peptides production, which may lead to increased urine output.

In such case, a resting ECG and if suspicions are raised even a Holter monitoring (24 to 48 hours ambulatory ECG monitoring) are advisable.

Other stimuli, like alcoholic and caffeinated drinks may exert similar effects.

Furthermore, also anxiety may lead to frequent urination and uncomfortable overall feeling.

So, it is necessary to carefully consider each of the above mentioned causes and discuss with your attending doctor about a careful medical checkup.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri