I feel fluttering at the botton of my stomach but I have a IUD

Question
i feel fluttering at the botton of my stomach but i have the IUD
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

I have seen your picture. I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:

1. When was your last menstrual period?
2. Do you have pain in the abdomen, nausea, any bleeding?
3. Do you suffer from acidity, gastric problems?
4. Any other medical illness, medications?

Fluttering sensation in abdomen could be most probably due to nervousness, anxiety, gastric problems and early pregnancy. If your periods are regular then it is doubtful that you are pregnant. But in case it is not then you will need to do a urine pregnancy test.

Various times even while using an IUD (intrauterine device) there is chances of pregnancy. It is better to get it examined by a Gynecologist to see if the IUD is in place.

Also your abdomen looks slightly bloated; it could be due to gas too. Bloating will be present leading to fluttering sensation too. You will need a thorough examination and if needed a ultrasound too.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have no further follow up, please accept my answer.

Regards.

Follow-up: I feel fluttering at the botton of my stomach but I have a IUD 21 hours later
i get my periods twice a month but my last period was new years eve i have cramping and at some point i did feel sick put that picture was when i was pregnant my bf put it up and i dont know why

Answered by Dr. Radhika 5 hours later

Thanks for the additional details.

If your last period was on Dec 31st, then it is nearly 1 month and 20 days since you had your periods. You will need to do your urine pregnancy test now as there are possibilities of you getting pregnant with intrauterine devices too.

Nausea and cramping may probably be due to this too.

Follow-up: I feel fluttering at the botton of my stomach but I have a IUD 37 hours later
i am on my period now but its light and im still having fluttering and everytime i put a tampon in it hurts around my stomach . what are the chances of getting pregnant with the implant x
if i am pregnant would the implant harm the baby

Answered by Dr. Radhika 11 hours later

You are on your periods now and you still have the fluttering sensation. If you have got your periods now it is doubtful that you are pregnant.

You can still do a physical examination once and probably a ultrasound to detect the cause for this fluttering.

The chances of getting pregnant with an implant are 1 in every 1000 women. When such a condition happens the fetus might be implanted in the Fallopian tubes (ectopic pregnancy) or there might be chances of miscarriage. If detected early the IUD can be removed.

Do not take stress; anxiety can also cause such fluttering.
But it is indeed better to get it examined by a gynecologist once to see if the IUD is in place or not.