I experience a lot of nerve pain in my right leg inspite of my history for hematoma and neck injury

Orthopaedic Surgeon
In 1985 I suffered a severe hematoma behind my right knee. In 2001 I had an SCI injury in my neck, resulting in some paralysis in my right side. I now experience a lot of nerve pain in my right leg with cold feet at bedtime.
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Due to a nerve root compression Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain in the right leg that you have now is not likely to be related to the neck injury or the hematoma that you had any years ago. This is more likely to be due to a nerve root compression at the level of lumbar spine due to degenerative changes in the disc. It occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis. For this condition you have to do stretching & strengthening exercises of back in which you have to stretch tight muscles & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on facet joint and disc. Since there is only pain of the leg it suggests that the affection of nerve root is only minimal. Such minor symptoms are usually taken care of by Methylcobalamin supplements which you can take after consulting your orthopedician. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: I experience a lot of nerve pain in my right leg inspite of my history for hematoma and neck injury 9 minutes later
When I had the hematoma behind my knee, could it not be possible that arteies or viens got damaged by constriction thus restricting blood flow? Would an MRI exam confirm this?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: MRI exam will help. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The damage to the blood vessels is usually reversible and must have healed well by now. A neurological cause due to nerve root compression is more likely. This can be detected on an MRI scan of the knee and lumbar spine. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards