I drank olive oil but breathed inwards and some ended up in lungs. What are the complication?

I drank olive oil but breathed inwards and some ended up in my lungs. I coughed a lot afterwards. Will the rest make its way out/be absorbed?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 7 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:
1. You seem to have aspirated some olive oil.
2. You need to visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself clinically evaluated.
3. Olive oil aspiration can result in lipoid pneumonia. Clinical presentation includes persistent coughing, tachypnoea, recurrent febrile illness and chest infections. A chest xray pa view needs to be done.
4. Since currently you seem to be asymptomatic there is very less to be worried as the amount of aspirated olive oil may have been very less.
5. However clinical evaluation by a chest physician and chest xray pa view needs to be done.
6. Steroids, antibiotics and physiotherapy are used in treatment of such condition if diagnosed.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra