I did not complete my question. Sorry, machine problem. The

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I did not complete my question. Sorry, machine problem. The x-rays show light to moderate arthritis on the left inside area of the knee. The pain is on the right side. The Ortho I saw said there was a probable Injury in the muscle called the liaputus tract. Sorry for the spelling. It runs from the knee to the hip. He suggests a cortisone shot and if that doesn't work, then total knee replacement. This seems drastic to me. is there anything else I could try?
Posted Sun, 3 Dec 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
knee replacement not needed at present

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

From the symptoms that you have stated,it does not seem to be a serious problem.It looks more of a tendinitis problem (inflammation of the tendon).

Usually,taking analgesic anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen,tramadol or paracetamol helps.Application of local analgesic gel followed by hot fomentation and wearing a compression bandage will help reduce the pain.

If this does not work,a local cortisone shot surely works (provided,the injection is targetted and given accurately at the inflammed area).

I would be in a better position to help you if you could upload the reports/X rays of the affected region here.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Follow-up: I did not complete my question. Sorry, machine problem. The 44 hours later
I don't have the x-rays. I will try to get them. The x-rays per the doctor, showed only light to moderate arthritis on the inside of the right knee. He said the problem appeared to be the IT band, that attached to the knee and goes up into the hip. T
There is some swelling in the knee area. I'm doing the PT, taking 3 Advil as needed. The cortisone shot helped but it still has some swelling. I was just worried about the
possible total knee replacement suggestion.

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
knee replacement not needed

Detailed Answer:
For some mild arthritis of knee and IT band inflammation,Knee replacement is definitely not needed.

You can take another cortisone shot if needed.
Thanks