I cannot taste anything. What may be the cause?

May 2014

I can't taste anything ... what may be the cause and what can I do about it?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

There are about 10,000 taste buds on the upper surface of the tongue. Each taste bud contains about 25 sensory receptor cells. When these tiny taste hair are exposed to liquids and food items dissolved in saliva, they sense four basic tastes like sweetness, sour, salty and bitterness. Loss of taste is the condition when these sensory receptor cells are unable to sense these basic tastes and what ever we eat seems tasteless.

Your problems might be caused by any one of the following:
1. This condition may be caused by allergies, infection, aging, nasal polyps, nerve damage or deficiency of B vitamins and zinc.
2. It is also caused during certain medications and is cured after the medication is stopped.
3. Another very common cause of loss of taste is deficiency of Iron known as Anemia

What should you do to prevent the condition?
1. Sour things and fried items should be avoided as far as possible.
2. Plenty of green vegetables and fruits should be taken as these are XXXXXXX in iron and folic acid.

Treatment options for tastelessness:
1. Sources that are XXXXXXX in diet like brewer’s yeast, black peas, rice germ, soy flour, wheat germ, wheat XXXXXXX various types of beans, white potatoes, various types of nuts.
2. Green, leafy vegetables should be eaten as they contain high concentration of vitamin B.
3. For iron deficiency (Anemia) – Iron intake may be adequate in diet consisting of cereals as a staple diet but the problem is that usually only 10 percent of the ingested iron is absorbed because, the cereals, besides having a high iron content are also XXXXXXX in phytates, which inhibit iron absorption. This problem can be corrected by increasing the calcium content of the diet by including yogurt in the meals.
4. Insufficient intake of vitamin C is also a factor in the poor absorption of iron by the body. Adding lemon juice to the foods and salads are a way of correcting this problem and thus enhancing the iron absorption.
5. Meat, especially organ meat like kidney and liver and all dairy products are XXXXXXX source of iron and vitamin B complex. Sesame seeds and unrefined sugar should be taken regularly as these are XXXXXXX in iron.

If there other problems with tastelessness, like twitching of mouth and deviation of tongue to one side, please consult your doctor immediately.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.