Ask a Dentist   »  

I can feel nodes on the inside of cheek and front lips. What is the diagnosis for this?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Hello I noticed a feeling of nodes on the inside of my cheek and my front lips . I cant see any thing with my eyes , but if i move my fingers and press i get the feeling of small nodes under the skin (inside the mouth ) . They are not painful also . What is the diagnosis for this ? Is there any medication that can help with this also ? Thank you
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dear XXXX, Hello, I und Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX, Hello, I understand your concern. The small nodes which you appreciating may be either lymph nodes or minor salivary glands. Both the glands are normally present in the region. you need not worry about it. If their size increases or show any symptoms then you can consult for the needful. Since they are normal structures there is no need of any medications. I sincerely hope the explanation relieves you. If you have anything to be clarified further I am available happily. with regards,
Follow-up: I can feel nodes on the inside of cheek and front lips. What is the diagnosis for this? 47 minutes later
Hello Thank you for the quick reply . Doesnt the swollen lymph nodes indicate a problem ? Can there be 2 or 3 next to each other ? I feel they are lentil sized but they cant be seen . They are pretty movable too . I heard about mucocele also , could those be mucocele ? Specially the one at the base of my mouth between teeth root and gum . I suffer from anxiety and i bite my lips sometimes . i can see teeth marks easily in my front lips . Also my teeth are so messed up , my bite alignment is totally wrong. Thanks again .
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello XXXX, Your de Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Your detailed explanation may suggest the possibility of Mucocele due to lip biting habit. When mucocele gets infected the lymph nodes may be affected. However this requires physical examination by dentist/oral surgeon. If mucocele is noted during the examination it can be removed with minor surgical procedure. meanwhile it is better to quit the lip biting habit. if it is difficult to quit, then try by using guard [also known as night guard] over the teeth so that at least the teeth and lip does not gets damaged. I suggest you to visit the dentist/oral surgeon at the earliest. Wish you happy recovery with regards,