I can feel my heartbeat while lying on left side?

Question
I can feel my heartbeat while lying on left side. Is this something to worry about
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No worries except if history of heart disease. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I do understand how disturbing and frustrating how this feeling could be. the good news however is this is a very common phenomenon. It is important to note if you have any past history of heart disease, any family history of heart disease, or a history of breathlessness on effort or exertion. In case you really got none of these, considering your age, 33, it would be rare that this should be a major call fr concern. It is very common, especially in slim and anxious persons to perceive their heart beats. In case of no previous heart disease or history, this is a very common phenomenon. In case you have a contributive family or personal history of heart disease or tiredness when you undertake the least effort, you can consult a cardiologist. Also, if this phenomenon is of recent unset, you can consult your cardiologist. If not, non worries. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain

Follow-up: I can feel my heartbeat while lying on left side? 2 days later
Thank you very much for your reply. I have no history of heart disease, no one in the family as well. But I do get a little tired on little effort (rush on stairs about 30 steps). I am a bit overweight also. Do you reckon this is a cause of concern.

Brief Answer: Clinical review by cardiologist Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks or the query, Even for persons not used to doing sports, it is not rare to be tired after doing such exercise like moving over 30 steps. However, I still believe you should get a reevaluation from a cardiologist. i think its important. Thanks for the update and kind regards. Dr Bain