Ask a Urologist   »  

I believe my wife has Sepsis (urinary infection). She has

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I believe my wife has Sepsis (urinary infection). She has taken the last of her medication provided by a medical doctor in Winnipeg (Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride 97.5 mg). We are currently in Arizona. She is currently suffering from acute chills and shaking.
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Follow-up: I believe my wife has Sepsis (urinary infection). She has 12 minutes later
She is thirst, drinking water, and has just taken 2 tylenol, the chills appear to have settled back a little - she is urinating, and her pulse is approx 80/minute per the fitbit she is wearing. She is normally very healthy and does not suffer from any known diseases.
Follow-up: I believe my wife has Sepsis (urinary infection). She has 24 minutes later
I have reviewed the 10 most frequent implications of Sepsis on this site, and she does not currently appear to have any of the other symptoms (skin spots, abnormal heart beat, urination issues, agitation, impaired focus, dizziness, accelerated pulse, nausea/vomiting, fever), but did have severe chills and shaking for approx 20 minutes. They have subsided somewhat after 30 minutes. Correction/History to initial information above: Her frequent urination and bowl movement began while returning from 31 days in southern XXXXXXX She immediately attended to a physician in Winnipeg when we arrived there on October 25. It seemed to go away from the Winnipeg doctors prescription (?) but then reappeared after we arrived in XXXXXXX on October 31, 2017. She then went to a pharmacist in XXXXXXX (CVS Health) who recommended the Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride 97.5 mg.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She is likely to have UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted frequency for urination and fever with chills that your wife has is mostly due UTI..

Get her routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Give her broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like
Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure she drinks more water to keep urine dilute

However since she has recently come back from XXXXXXX I would suggest to get her blood tests for peripheral smear done to rule out Malarial Infection ..

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.