I ate 2 yogurts that where 30 days out of

Question
I ate 2 yogurts that where 30 days out of date. One yesterday and one today. I have a stomach ache today.
What have I done?
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Most likely the yogurt had some contamination with mold that will grow on it over time. Bacterial contamination is possible but much less likely if the yogurts were in their original containers and the seals had not been broken.

You may have intestinal cramping and possibly mild diarrhea for a couple of days. It should not be severe.

If you are not taking any medication that would interact or be interfered with Pepto Bismol, (ask the pharmacist who knows the meds you take), that would be my suggestion now. Pepto Bismol can help with colon spasms and also acts as to kill some pathogenic organisms or neutralize their toxins.

Don't be surprised if your stools after taking Pepto Bismol look gray or blackish (your tongue may also). The stools may look this way up to 3 days after and it is due to the bismuth in the product. (Black tarry appearing stools on the other hand can be a sign of bleeding.) Pepto Bismol can also be temporarily constipating.

If you are having severe abdominal pain or fever or vomiting/diarrhea and can't keep food or liquid in, then go in to the ER to be seen quickly, but I don't expect that will happen.

Eat only small amounts of easy to digest foods until the stomach ache resolves - apple sauce, toast, mashed potatoes, boiled chicken, etc.

If you are having symptoms beyond a couple of days - then do go in to be seen.

But I think you will be feeling better soon.