I am type 2 diabetic. Wounds on shins not healing, swollen and stiff leg. How to get cured?

Hi and good afternoon. I am a diabetic, type 2, have A Fib, and currently have 2 open wounds on my shins that are not healing very quickly. I have taken some antibiotics and when doing so the seem to quit draining or weeping. Once off of them, they weep like crazy once more. I also my legs swollen, are stiff and hard to the touch. I am self-employed and live in michigna so money is very tight, also I have no insurance so that makes things even tougher. Any ideas on wgat I can do to have the wounds stop weeping and heal? I've been told by a Dr that antibiotic creams really do not help all that much, is that true?
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in

After going through your post, I could think of following causes for the non healing wounds on your XXXXXXX :

1) Uncontrolled diabetes and blood pressure
2) Probable need of Insulin (if not started already)
3) Associated congestive cardiac failure along with Afib, leading to swelling on legs and delayed wound healing
4) Associated renal causes leading to swelling on legs leading to delayed wound healing
5) Antibiotic resistance due to repeated use

It could either be an isolated cause or combination of various causes stated above.

To conclude:

- As rightly stated by you, antibiotic creams don't help.

- Factors which could enhance wound healing on the shin:
a) Strict blood glucose control (preferably with insulin)
b) Strict control of blood pressure
c) Treatment for associated cardiac and renal aliments, if present.
d) Swelling on the feet delays wound healing. So trying reduction of swelling on the feet - with drugs or/and crepe bandage (if the wounds are non infected).
e) Bed rest till the wound heals (which could take few days to few months). Unfortunately this does need some patience.
f) Antibiotics alone wouldn't help, if other factors are not under control.

I know there are financial constrains but you really need a thorough examination by a physician and also a few blood tests(recommended after examination) to rule out the probable causes of swelling and delayed wound healing over shins. Proper guidance by a good physician can really help to great extent.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.