I am type 2 diabetic. On zoryl mp1. How much insulin will be needed? Is it safe to get pregnant?

Question
i am type 2 diabetic since 4 years and on zoryl mp1 twicw daily. iam 42 years old. can i manage diabetic if i become pregnant now. how much insulin i need if iam shifted to insulin.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 24 minutes later

As you know during pregnancy no anti diabetic drugs can be taken except insulin.

I will prefer that even before planning pregnancy you should switch over to insulin if possible.

How much insulin that you will need depends upon your recent blood sugar level, your body weight and drugs that you are already taking.

During pregnancy you need to keep a close watch on your blood sugar and it is possible that you might need to adjust the dose frequently depending upon the results.

It is advisable that you get in touch with a physician or endocrinologist and take his advice during this period.

Does of insulin absolutely does not matter, what matters is smooth control of diabetes during pregnancy.

I hope this helps and clarifies your concern.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: I am type 2 diabetic. On zoryl mp1. How much insulin will be needed? Is it safe to get pregnant? 23 hours later
i have already mentioned that iam now on zorly MP1 twice daily. is it a big dose? if i go for pregnancy can i manage ? can i have a healthy baby?

i already have 2 healthy daughtersand recently i lost one daughter in an accident.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

As I already mentioned there is nothing like high does and low dose.Every individual is different and unique.Some gets control with single drug,some needs more.

You can go for pregnancy.As advised earlier keep in regular contact with your doctor and do regular monitoring of blood sugar during pregnancy.Preferably remain in contact with diabetes specialist.

You can have healthy baby.

Do not worry.Please go ahead and plan.

I hope this clarifies your concern and helps you in taking an informed decision.

Wishing you all the best.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: I am type 2 diabetic. On zoryl mp1. How much insulin will be needed? Is it safe to get pregnant? 28 hours later
dear sir,

Thank u for your reply. I have consulted diabetes specialist to change medication to insulin. He prescribed NOVOMIX 30/70 with insulin pen 15units twice daily as initial dose. i have yet to start.

i have a doubt. How long i have to take insulin. Can i stop after delivery. Will medication (oral tablets) works for me after using insulin for such a long period of around one year.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 20 hours later

Good to hear from again.

Normally after delivery your insulin requirements will decrease.Depending upon the sugar control your doctor will adjust the dose of insulin.

Not all the drugs can be given during lactation.Depending upon the sugar control either Insulin alone or in combination with drugs will be advised after delivery for some time.

Yes,you will be definitely be back to oral tablets once again after some time.It is not like that once you have taken insulin,tablets will not work.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Wishing you all the best.

Dr.Pragnesh