I am type 1 diabetic. Diagonised with MRSA. Noticed high sugar level after taking clindamycin hcl 150mg. Worried

Aug 2012

I'm a type 1 diabetic and was recently diagonised with MRSA. The doctor prescribed clindamycin XXXXXXX 150mg to be taken 4 times a day for ten days to treat this infection. I have noticed my glucose reading are very elevated (250- 400) over my normal span of glucose readings (100-250). I have increased my units of humalog and lantus to combat these high readings. I believe the MRSA or possibly the Clindamycin medication is having this effect on my glucose readings. My strong belief is that the MRSA is having this effect on my body absorbing the insulin correctly. Am I correct in my presumtion?
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 48 minutes later

Congratulations for living with type 1 diabetes so nicely (HbA1c between 6.2 and 6.8).
And you have guessed correctly, any kind of systemic infection (infection causing vast part of the body) tends to increase blood sugar in response to body stress. In these situations body requirement of insulin is increased and hence you have increased the doses of your Lispro and Glargine insulins. Absolutely correct way to handle.

During such stress, please monitor your blood glucose frequently as the insulin requirements will start dropping down once your antibiotic (Clindamycin) starts controlling the infection. This will result in your insulin to carbohydrate ratio falling in place. So in short, your presumption is absolutely correct!
Take care. Do revert back for any other query you have.