I am taking tromadol for a bilateral tear in my left shoulder which is causing fever and a rapid heart rate. How can this be resolved?

I have what the doctor suspects is a bilateral tear in my left shoulder. I was given a shot of what I think was tromadol in my right glute. Last night I had fever and rapid heart rate of 104-107.. woke up with the rapid heart rate. Last two times I've taken it it was 95bpm -99 bpm. I am taking vicopfrofen for the pain in my shoulder. I also have some chest congestion - yellowish greenish phlem.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

I do not consider the rapid heart rate being related to the shoulder injury or the injection tramadol.

If you have fever along with the increased heart rate then I think the possible cause for the same is the chest infection you have.

I suggest you to take anti cough measures like steam inhalation and an expectorant which will relieve you momentarily from chest congestion .

Get a chest Xray and if possible a culture and sensitivity test on the sputum and get you on appropriate antibiotics for the same.

Hiatal hernia could be a considerable cause here but i would ask you to first rule out the infection in the chest after which you can be sure of what exactly is causing the heart rate to rise.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.