I am taking glyciphage for type 2 diabetic. Having burning sensation in foot and legs. Worried

I am 45 and type 2 diabetic.i am taking glyciphage g2 for diabetic and ramistar5 and amlosafe 5 for BP. pl. advise i am having burning sensation in my left foot and both the legs are aching when lying down,

Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query here.

I see you are having diabetes type II and hypertension; I would like to know since how long are you having these problems? - As long history correlate with complications.

I hope your blood sugar and blood pressures are well controlled - If not, what is the current status?

I think the burning sensation in foot and pain may be because of "peripheral neuropathy" which is a complication of diabetes. Spine problems that cause backache with radiating pain to the limbs is the second possibility related to your symptoms.

A MRI scan of spine can help us identifying the true cause.

The next step towards treatment is to verify your blood sugar levels and keeping it in the optimal level. Consult a neurophysician for detailed examination and to get the aforementioned tests. You can in the meantime take Vitamin B12 supplements which are useful in treating peripheral neuropathy.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer your query if any.

Follow-up: I am taking glyciphage for type 2 diabetic. Having burning sensation in foot and legs. Worried 21 minutes later
This problem I am suffering since one week.Is this because of the medication what I am taking ? i am not taking any vitamin supplements. Though i have not checked my BP but my sugar level is high i,e in FBS is 150 .
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 28 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.

Your problem is not because of medicines but most likely cause is peripheral neuropathy.

As your FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar) is high, please consult your Physician to escalate the antidiabetic drugs to control blood sugar. Simultaneously get take vitamin B12 supplement.

I hope you will improve soon.

Please rate my answer, if there are no more queries.

Please inform me about the progress.