I am taking eliquis and getting black, tarry stools. Can

Question
I am taking eliquis and getting black, tarry stools. Can I do anything about it?
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to see a doctor as soon as possible to rule out internal bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Black tarry stools mean that you might be having bowel or stomach bleeding. the drug you mention, Eliquis is a drug we generally prescribe to prevent blood clots but it also has an increased risk for bleeding. Stomach and bowel hemorrhages are a common side effect of drugs we use to prevent blood clots.

Please talk to your doctor as soon as possible. Bleeding from the stomach or bowel can be massive and risky so you will need a very good examination (BP and pulse check) and very likely tests like CBC and stool micro analysis for blood and UA for blood to see if you are having any bleeding with stool and urine and also if you are having low hemoglobin from bleeding.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question but please feel free to reply if any more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD