I am suffering from cold and cough + sneezeing and

Question
I am suffering from cold and cough + sneezeing and body ache. Heaviness. But no fever. Is it Ok to take Azipro 500 for 3 days ? I am aged 85 years.
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Azipro 500 is antibiotic &should be prescribed by doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Keshabcp,
Thanks for the query. I understand your concern.
Cold,cough &sneezing without fever can mostly be allergic or viral in origin.
These conditions without bacterial infection mostly are relieved with symptomatic treatment (anti cold pills like synarest &cough syrup over the counter) .Take rest. Have light nutritious diet ... drink pleny of water ,avoid exposure to cold & known allergens..as home care.
Azipro 500 is an antibiotic &needs to be given along with above medicines if there is fever or bacterial infection...indicated by fever or yellow nasal secretions/phlegm.If taken otherwise you may develop bacterial resistance.
* So with your present symptoms...I would suggest to take just symptomatic treatment (as advised before).....and be on guard for infection (signaled by fever/yellow secretions).
You should consult your doctor for prescribing abtibiotics in case you are not relieved with symptomatic treatment in 2-3 days / the symptoms exaggarate or there is fever.
I hope the answer helps you. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.