I am smoker. Suffering from breathlessness, cough and sputum. Am I having asthma or COPD?

i am a heavy smoker for 30 years,aged 48,now suffering from breathlessness,cough,sputum.pulminologist administered the following
ipravent,formonide forte,tablet montek 10,nazomac-AF
whether i have asthama,bronchites,or COPD

Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 54 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is one of the most common lung diseases. It makes it difficult to breathe. There are two main forms of COPD: Chronic bronchitis, which involves a long-term cough with mucus Emphysema, which involves destruction of the lungs over time.
I think you have chronic bronchitis.
Most people with asthma have attacks separated by symptom-free periods. Some people have long-term shortness of breath with episodes of increased shortness of breath. Either wheezing or a cough may be the main symptom.
Ipravent is ipratropium bromide belongs to class atropine substitute used in the treatment of both the illness but usually more commonly used in COPD.
The most important thing is to quit smoking, i know it is difficult to stop at once but try to slowly decrease the no of cigarettes and then stop that will be beneficial.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.