I am smoker. Feeling movable glands in throat. What are the chances of having cancer?

Hi. For about 3 weeks I feel glands in my throat - not a big pain but I just feel it being there when moving my neck etc. I feel both sides. I smoke around 10-15 cigarettes a day and some weed as well. I'm worried that this might be cancer or something? My glands are swallen and I'm very worried. Please advice, thank you
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 34 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

Don't worry about cancer etc. as nothing has been diagnosed yet. Neck swellings like lymph etc. can be anything from infections, to benign growth to malignant growths. Most of the time , if you have had a throat infection or dental caries etc, lymph nodes increase in size and once the infection comes down, the size reduces to the original one. In some individuals , it remains enlarged and fails to regress,which is quite normal.

In the presence of fever, weight loss, night sweats etc, lymph node swellings are more worrisome, as it might point to lymphoma etc.

I would suggest that you visit your physician at the earliest who might do a physical examination of your neck and advise accordingly.

And in any case, try to cut down on your smoking. Not good for your lungs as well as people around you.

Hope I hav e answered your question. In case you dont have any further queries, kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a wonderful day :)

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: I am smoker. Feeling movable glands in throat. What are the chances of having cancer? 12 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. Actually there are 2 things that you mentioned: firstly I had my tooth removed around a month ago and I had double dose of anesthetic - could that be the reason?

You got me a bit worried with night sweats as this is happening lately but I think due to hot weather and on a positive side I actually put on weight recently which was very hard for me as I'm very skinny. I don't have fever but sort of 'heat waves' if you know what i mean

thank you
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 10 minutes later
I don't think you should be anxious. The decayed tooth could be a reason for swollen lymph nodes. Unlikely for the cause to be due to double dose of anesthetic.

If the weather is hot outside, it is quite normal for you to sweat.

In any case, it is very important that you visit your doctor so that he/she can palpate your neck and tell you what exactly it is.

Hope this helps.