I am smoker. Feeling chest discomfort, dizziness and weakness. What treatment should be done?

left side weakness, but overall weakness, very slight off and on left chest discomfort, very dizzy, almost unable to stand, feels hard to breath through nose-must blow cold air on face and breath through mouth, feel "retarded" movement in all body. 36 yr female smoker -not anxiety
very worried-not at all normal for me-feel very concerned
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
I could see that you have selected a category 'stroke' and feel that you are more worried about the onset of stroke. You did not describe the duration of symptoms and whether they are sudden onset or gradually increased.

It is very unusual to present with 'stroke' at this age and that too for a woman in mid thirties. However I reckon there is certainly high risk factor like smoking.

Perhaps you may be having one or more of these possibilities:
1) Withdrawal effect of Oxycodone.
2) A viral infection is highly likely ( low immune state)
3) Allergic bronchitis

It is good to take complete bed rest with humidifier in the room. If you have some help at home you should take their help for next two days till you get better. Steam inhalations, warm ginger / lemon tea relieves the symptoms partly. If not take an over the counter anti allergic. This works if the symptoms started within a day or two. If these symptoms are over 72 hours it is good to check with the local doctor.

Before I end a small note on smoking 'Quit it' and I am sure you feel much better in an year than what you are now.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: I am smoker. Feeling chest discomfort, dizziness and weakness. What treatment should be done? 3 hours later
Sudden onset. Had 1 of these episodes a year ago. Is still persistent 8hrs later but I have taken 1600mg of aspirin and it seems to help a little. I know its not a wwl symptom but I also know oxy-like drugs can be bad for the heart etc. My left arm hurts-worse at times-pain in back-although this is a chronic condition for me, this pain is different- and I feel like I see colours slightly differently from each of my eyes. The viral flu sounds interesting-did not think of that and the not breathing properly from the nose has nothing to do with it being "stuffy". Its more a sensation of needing to breath through the mouth than perhaps an actual need. What is allergic bronchitis?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 17 hours later

Thank you for summoning a follow up. It was a hectic day so could not reply early.

Viral flu also blocks the nose. It gives you a feeling to breath through nose.

Allergic bronchitis is with prolonged cough, mucus coming out when you cough. When an allergen like smoke, dust, pollen, mites enter the bronchus through the nasal passage there is blocked nose and there by slight discomfort for the free flowing air.

The chronic back pain that you notify is probably a a chronic progressive degenerative disease of the vertebrae. Do you know that it can progress further to the cervical region? If so there would be changes that can affect the nerves that come out through these narrow foramen in the vertebrae. The symptoms would typically episodic, sudden onset of weakness and pain. There would be associated numbness or tingling in some cases. An MRI scan of the region is worthwhile. The vision disturbances are observed in others.

Check with your doctor about these insights.