I am pregnant. Have red, itchy rash on inner thighs. Having fungal infection. Is it intertrigo?

Question
HI

i have very itchy rash on my inner thighs. both side. i all along have jock itch aka fungus infection. but recently, my thighs come out with red raised itchy rash, i tried using neoderm, sometime it dun work. i realise centre of the rash is flaky or like going to peel. when it get well, another side thigh will come with the same problem. may i knw what i can do to relieve it? i went to see doc. they told me it fungal or my skin too dry. and i am pregnant.. it is not due to pregnancy. is it intertrigo?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 3 hours later
Thank you for your query,
In all probability, the rash is not due to your pregnancy.
You stated that you had tinea cruris ( Jock itch ) infection in the past. This fungal infection is usually recurrent. Your picture is suggestive for tinea cruris then Intertrigo ( you asked about ). I would advice you consult a Dermatologist and ask for simple laboratory test , microscopic test KOH ( potassium hydroxide ) where they will take a sample from your skin ( lesion). This is best way to diagnose if you have or no fungal infection.
In case you will have confirmation of fungal infection, you may try over the counter topical medication like terbinafine, ciclopirox, miconazole, clotrimazole.
Most important prophylactic measures : wear cotton underwear, keep groin region dry and clean , don’t’ share clothing and towels.

I wish you speedy recovery. If you have additional queries, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail.