I am overweight and having irregular periods. Suggest some diet plan

Hi Doctor,
I am Married women for past 2.5 years. And I am into a joint family. Prior to my marriage I was on a a proper food habits with regular execxrise for 1 hour in the morning. And now I am not able concnetrate on the diet nor on the exercise. I am overweight for my height (height 4.11 & weight 70 kgs). Top of this I have menstrual problems (irregular periods). Can you please help me in getting me proper diet plan & for my menstrual problems.

Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Firstly, let's see if your weight for your height is healthy or not.

BMI (Body Mass Index) is a widely accepted formula which is used to assess whether a person's weight for height is appropriate or not.

Your height: 4 feet, 11 inches
Your weight: 70 kg
Your Body Mass Index works out to 32.2, which indicates that you are Obese.

WHO(World Health Organisation) - BMI Classification:
18.5 or less Underweight
18.5 to 24.99 Normal Weight
25 to 29.99 Overweight
30 or more Obesity

Now, that we are clear that you have Obesity, we need to see what steps you can take to control it. You have mentioned that you used to have proper food habits and exercise regularly, but are unable to follow that now. After marriage, your priorities would have changed and you would probably having very little time for yourself. Now, since you mention that you have a time constraint, the best thing to do is to PLAN your weight reduction programme properly.

1) Have a target to decide how much weight you want to lose. Overenthusiastic efforts initially and later on losing motivation will not help. Moreover, sudden excessive weight loss is also not good for your health. So, the first step is to set a healthy weight loss target.

2) The second step is time management - this is quite often overlooked. So, make sure you set aside some time for yourself. For example, decide which part of the day you can dedicate to exercise. Then make a schedule of what time and how long you are going to exercise everyday. Similarly you can plan a diet schedule for yourself each day of the week and stick to it, irrespective of what you cook for the rest of the family. Eat at regular intervals and eat healthy foods. Strictly avoid fast foods, fried foods, sweet foods and carbonated drinks. Eat slowly and enjoy your food.

3) Keep monitoring your progress regularly (for example, checking your weight every week). This will not only keep you in track in your weight loss plan, but will also prevent you from losing motivation. Moreover, once you start seeing results, then that itself will be a motivating factor.

Now, regarding your menstrual periods, obesity itself is known to cause irregular periods. You may be suffering from a medical condition called PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which could be responsible for the mentsrual irregularities as well as your obesity. So, I would advise you to have an evaluation by a gynaecologist for this. You may require short term medication to regularize your menstrual periods.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar