I am overweight. Diagnosed with anaemia, swollen and purplish legs. Feeling fatigued. Concerned

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My dr told me that i am extremly anemic when i went in 2 years ago with veery swollen and purplish legs sent me for a lot of blood work and had no answer for me i am quite a lot overweight but i eat healthy and avoid salt whenever i can i find that i am very tired he put me on the antidepressant prestique and it helps with the fatigue but now my stomach especially around my belly button and i find i have to wear looser clothing so it doesn't hurt as much and it is frustrating i am a single mother closely approaching 40 i want help so i can be here for my daughter
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
As per your information your current problem of abdominal discomfort is most probably a sideffect of the medication pristiq (desvenlafaxine) a good antidepressant .
This does not occur in every person taking pristiq and moreover the severity also varies from person to person.
The best step would be to report to your treating doctor and get yourself reevaluated depending on which a change of drug or dose might be prescribed.

Regarding your weight issues and anemia though you haven't mentioned any figures I assume it to be severe as per your information.
You need to take iron supplements along with vitamin c and frolic acid in addition ( preferably) .These can reduce your fatigue , improve your health .
The swollen feet might be seen in severe anemia but can also be caused by many other problems like circulatory or kidney disorders which are supposedly ruled out by tests .
Obesity itself can cause swelling of feet and legs and also cause fatigue , depression etc.So do have daily exercise under a professional superviser in addition to diet control.
You are right in being a caring parent and it makes it all the more important to get immediate help for any health problems you suffer from minor to serious ones.
So please consult your physician as soon as feasible and do strive for a healthier diet and exercise regime daily .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for Any follow up queries.