I am on breastfeeding. Started thick clumpy and very brown bleeding. Is this normal?

I had a baby 12 weeks ago. My lochia flow lasted 6 weeks and yesterday I started bleeding which I am assuming is my period however it is really thick clumpy and very brown almost black. No sign of red at all. I am exclusively breastfeeding also. Is this normal? There is no smell burning or itchiness.
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Juhi 20 minutes later

Thank you for writing in.

The first period after pregnancy varies in amount and flow. Sometimes some of the after births are shed during the first period. Often the 1st period is heavy. So if you bleed a bit more than previously, do not be alarmed.
But this brown or black discharge is not normal.I suggest you observe for a day. If the color changes to red of even brownish red then its okay.
If it remains brown or black, or if you start having pain, foul smell or other signs of infection, then you must consult a doctor. The doctor will examine the discharge and find out the cause.
If there are any further questions, I'll be glad to help
Till then take care.
Dr. Juhi.