I am heavy pot smoker. On metropolol 25mg. Treated for atrial fibrillation. Is it safe to smoke?

hi i am on metropolol 25mg the long acting one and have been a heavy pot smoker for about 7-8 years now, i went into atrial fibrillation 2 weeks ago and have cut everything out bc i am nervous but i would like to smoke again, not as much as i used to but cutting it cold XXXXXXX has been very difficult for me . i was told the smoking was not what triggered this episode but i also know that smoking causes a faster heart rate and i do NOT ever want to feel what i felt that night again, i have adjusted my diet and cut caffeine out completely, but i do miss my smoking and am very on edge and want to know if i can smoke ever again, or is this it, finito, done.
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

I understand how difficult it is to relieve yourself off something you like so much. Smoking pot is a definite contraindication in your case as it causes tachycardia, anxiety, dizziness which could all trigger an Atrial fibrilliation. I strongly advice you to seek medical help in order to slow wean off the urge for it.
Atrial fibrillation is a life threatening situation so please take your medicines regularly in order to prevent any further attacks of it. You have done the right thing by adjusting your diet and caffeine intake.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I will be happy to reply

I wish you good health