I am hearing and feeling a fizzing sound at the base of neck. What could be causing this?

I sometimes hear and feel what seems to be a fizzing sound at the base of my neck. Pop rocks is the only way I know how to describe it or tiny bubbles. On the web there are forums where people are experiencing the same thing.
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
I really need to know some more informations from you to be able to answer and guide you properly.
Since when you are having this problem?
How regular this problem occurs to you?Is it once a week or a fortnight or a month?
Do you experience headaches along with this fizzing sound?
Have you ever had any trauma to your neck?
Do you have any associated hypertension or anemia?
Have you ever experienced any blackout or some problem in your vision or any weakness in your limbs?
Have you consulted any doctor for this problem?
Any medications being taken at the moment?

Waiting for your reply.
Follow-up: I am hearing and feeling a fizzing sound at the base of neck. What could be causing this? 13 hours later
No headaches or blackouts no medicine per hypertension. Just started in the last few weeks. Occurs for few seconds especially when laying down. My vision has always been bad but nothing noticeable with contacts in. No muscle weakness but I have essential tremors. Had tremors since I was young my dad had them and so did my grandmother. I can sometimes hear it when my head goes back. So far it occurs daily the last several days. Did not consult a doctor. No neck injury.
It occurs where my head and neck join and I am pre hypertension
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 11 hours later
Considering the fact that you are not having headaches,vision problems or hearing problems associated with your neck symptoms,it rules out many intacranial ( inside brain ) causes.
To me,this appears to be due to arthritis of the joint between skull and vertebral column.
You must consult your doctor and get an MRI of brain as well as cervical region done to diagnose the exact cause.
if the cause turns out to be arthritis of the base of skull,treatment would consist of anti inflammatory medicines,physiotherapy and neck exercises.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck