Ask a Dentist   »  

I am having tooth cavity. What should I do?

i have tooth cavity
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 21 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

It is not very clear what you wish to know about. Therefore I shall proceed to discuss in general about tooth cavities.

I would like to tell you that cavities in teeth are due to-
- Poor oral hygiene.
- Hereditary factors also.

The treatment options for cavities are-

1. If the cavities are in the initial stage i.e. incipient caries, cavities should get filled with appropriate filling material.

2. If the cavities are in a tooth which is already filled with appropriate filling material, then the filled material should be removed and an x-ray must be take to check the depth of cavities,
a. If the cavity is not too XXXXXXX it should be filled again.
b. If the cavity is XXXXXXX enough, root canal treatment should be done.
c. If the tooth is already root canal treatment and you have pain with caries in the same tooth, re-root canal treatment by specialist - an endodontist should be done.

Hope this information suffices. If you have any specific concerns / doubts, feel free to ask.

Take Care
Dr. Gunjan Gupta