I am having low vitamin d and potassium levels. On medications. What else should I do?

I have just been told by my doctor that I have low vitamin d and potassium levels. My doctor prescribed vitamin D and potassium. Are there other things that she should be looking for, such as the cause? And what might she check for as the cause?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later

There are certain causes for the deficiency of vitamin D and potassium.

Potassium deficiency also called hypokalemia result from different causes like diuretics, low dietary potassium intake, drug for asthma and emphysema like theophylline, insulin, kidneys failure, diarrhoea, vomiting or excessive sweating and hypomagnesaemia.

Vitamin D causes are low dietary intake like strict vegetarian, poor exposure to sunlight, any problem with gut absorption like irritable bowel disease, inability of the kidneys to convert it to active form and obese people.

Now the purpose of explaining of these causes is to tell you that whenever to diagnose a disease, a doctor always looks for the causes, so your doctor will be looking for these causes. If the problem is due to dietary causes then the deficiency will be recovered with supplements but causes like renal diseases and hypomagnesaemia needs further evaluation.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask.