I am having discomfort in my joints. My feet and

Excellent

Question
I am having discomfort in my joints. My feet and hands appear swollen, and this is unusual for me. I am feeling feverish, although I do not have a thermometer to check my temperature. This has been going on for approximately 4 days, and seems to be worsening. Advice?
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
viral illness most common, rest, fluids, paracetamol, assessment

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

One of the more common causes for acute joint pain (arthragia) with swelling, fever would be a viral infection.

The most likely virus can sometimes be determined by physical examination and assessment.

Blood tests may also be needed in some cases, this would usually be a complete blood count and ESR (this is a marker for inflammation in the body).
There are blood tests that can be done for some viruses but in many cases, doctor may base the diagnosis on the most likely viruses present in a particular region/area.

Most viral illness respond to rest, fluids and paracetamol to help with any aches and pain.
Since your symptoms are worsening, it would be best to be assessed as mentioned above

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions