I am getting smell of stale tobacco smoke. Why am I getting this feeling?

I keep smelling the smell of stale tobacco smoke although nobody smokes a pipe in the house. My dad smoked a pipe when i lived there about 20 years ago
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
At this point, I am assuming that apart from this, there are no symptoms that you are currently experiencing. Please let me know if I am wrong.
Occasional such symptoms would be caused by a simple respiratory infection which would take care of itself in few days. However, it can also be suggestive of something more serious like temporal lobe seizures, sinusitis, brain tumors, migraine, Parkinson's disease and stroke.
At this juncture, if your symptoms persist, I would request you to get an Electroencephalogram and a MRI of the brain. We need to rule out the above mentioned conditions as we dont really want to be missing any of these.
Please see your physician,
Hope this helps
Let me know if you have any more questions