I am experiencing sleep paralysis. Is it a long term disease or will it be cured soon?

When I wake up early in the morning and try to go back to sleep, I have these very strange sensations in my head and body. A very intense force overcomes my head and I cannot move. I believe I am experiencing sleep paralysis. It only happens if I wake up in the morning and try to go back to sleep. (that in between sleep and awake phase). I am wondering if sleep paralysis is XXXXXXX long term or if it is benign? Is it a sign of a more serious condition?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 24 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Actually, sleep paralysis usually occurs as a part of a disorder called narcolepsy. This is usually characterized by sudden sleep attacks and excessive sleepiness during the day time. This is a lifelong condition. Although its not something XXXXXXX its risky if the sleep attacks come on in while you're driving or handling heavy machinery.
But sometimes sleep paralysis also occurs without narcolepsy in people with disturbed sleeping schedules.
The following steps will help at this time:
a. try and get enough sleep
b. Reduce your stress levels
c. Get atleast 45 minutes of exercise daily ( not in the later part of the evening)
d. Keep a regular sleep schedule

Hope this helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns
Follow-up: I am experiencing sleep paralysis. Is it a long term disease or will it be cured soon? 6 minutes later
I do not have narcolepsy. I am however taking lamotrigine for undiagnosed epilepsy. Do you think this could be some form of nocturnal seizure? It only happens in that in-between sleep and awake state.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 37 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
It could be a nocturnal seizure but we could confirm that only by doing an EEG at the time of these events. In any case, people with epilepsy have been seen to gave fits when they dont sleep well. Try and follow the sleep hygiene practices mentioned above. Also speak with your physician about these symptoms and consider getting an EEG done. If these are seizures indeed, we may have to increase the dose or add another medication.
Feel free to ask any more questions that you might have.