I am experiencing pressure behind my left eye and ear drum

Jun 2015

I've had pressure at the top of my head that feels like it's attached to my neck. I also feel pressure behind my left eye and ear drum. This has been getting progressively worse over the past several months. I've also been losing focus throughout the day, kind of a dizziness or lightheaded. This has also been getting progressively worse. My doctor prescribed Flo Naz for allergies but it's has not been effective. Could I have a sinus issue that requires greater attention? Thank you
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Transmission of pressure/ infection to inner ear Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for your query. There is a connecting tract (known as Eustachian tube) between the nasopharynx & middle ear through which infection can spread to ear. Any obstruction to this Eustachian tube, secondary to an upper respiratory tract infection, Sinusitis, cold & congestion, causes un-equalisation of pressure between the nasopharynx & middle ear. This pressure change gets transmitted to the inner ear which has a specialized structure called Vestibular apparatus. The Vestibular apparatus plays an important role in maintaining the posture & body balance. Hence, a disturbance in this apparatus secondary to build up of pressure & spread of infection in ear causes dizziness. Investigations like complete blood count, X ray of the para nasal sinus, laryngoscopy & nasal endoscopy will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis. Management includes: 1. Antihistamine preparations like Allegra. 2. Decongestant nasal drops. 3. Antibiotics based on culture & sensitivity reports. 4. Warm salt water gargle. 5. Steam inhalation. 6. Maintenance of adequate hydration & nutrition status of the body. 7. Protection from cold, dust & other allergens. As the Sinusitis gets treated, the symptoms of dizziness & sensation of pressure in eyes & ears will automatically subside. Hope I have been able to answer your query. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.