I am diabetic. Penis started itching. How to control it?

i have some kind of infection on my penus from last 5 days .. i went to dr and found i have diabeties i am just 21 it is because of heridity ........... but right now my penis is itching like hell
i cannot control it .. please suggest me what should i do please....
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later

It is a bit upsetting to be diagnosed as Diabetic - it is as you say inherited and called Type 1 - due to absent insulin. (The other is type 2 - insufficient insulin).

Today, we have facilities to test at home and control well - you can have a near normal life and life-style. Only the inconvenience of insulin injections - nowadays, we have cartridges and pre-filled syringes like pen. Establish liaison with local Diabetologist. Seek the help of a good dietician also - you will become an expert yourself soon. Search and establish rapport with similar diabetic people.

Regarding itching:

> The usual cause in newly diagnosed diabetic is infection - of the fore skin (especially if it is narrow) and bulb - Balano-posthitis. Maintain good hygiene - retract and clean - especially after passing urine. You may need a local antibiotic - (like mupirocin) / rarely systemic antibiotic is needed, if the infection is severe... AN UROLOGIST IS THE BEST person to assess and advice this time.
> It could be a fungus infection - less common at such an early a time
> Try to achieve a good control of blood sugar...
> Antihistamine like levocetrizine (5 mg once) is sometimes given - if allergy is suspected / a soothening lotion may give sense relief.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Good luck