I am diabetic. Having pain in mid back along ribs. I am worried about kidney problem. Concerned

hi, i have been having pain in my mid back along the ribs im worried about kidney problems im a diabetic i go to a chir. but it has not gotten any better it is making it hard to move ,bend over without pain even riding in the car is painful
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

There could be various reasons for this kind of discomfort and pain. The common ones are:

>Muscular pain: At times when muscle gets pulled due to any reason this can happen.
>Some thing related to kidney like: stone somewhere in urinary system, infection etc.

If you are having any urinary complains like frequency, urgency, difficulty in urination etc, kidney cause is more likely.

Do not worry, take some rest, and apply analgesic over the area. You can take analgesic tablet also, which are comfortable with.

Normally if it is muscular pain you should feel better with above measures.

In case the problem still persists and pain increase, it is better that you consult a doctor and get your self examined. After examination you may be asked some investigations like urine examination, ultrasound to have some more information.

Continue light diet and medicines as advised.

I hope helps and clarify your concern.

If you have more questions, please ask. If you are satisfied, please take a moment to leave feedback!

Follow-up: I am diabetic. Having pain in mid back along ribs. I am worried about kidney problem. Concerned 11 hours later
ive tried most of what you said the thing is it has gone on for 3 months now sometimes getting some better but if i over do it comes back full force
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 11 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

It is better that you consult your doctor and get your self examined.

Normal ultrasound and some blood reports will clear all doubts about kidney problems.

In case routine treatment does not help you should consider seeing an orthopedic surgeon also to look for other causes.