I am concerned about the frequency of steroid drops like pre forte i use for my keratoconus

I have keratoconus and my last transplant from 2008 is showing signs of rejection. I am on alphagan 2 X's daily and pre forte 1 drop every hour for 3 days and then every 2 hours. I also have IBS and arthritis. I had a spinal fusion in 1999. My age is 74. I'm concerned about the frequency of the steroid drops.
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is no need for worrying about local steroid Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Pre forte is steroid eye drop and is definitely indicated when rejection of transplant is suspected. It requires intense therapy and frequent instillation in order to prevent any autoimmune inflammation that causes the rejection. The systemic absorption of steroid from eye is very minimal and does not cause systemic toxicity. As you are on intense local steroid therapy it's important to prevent any injury or contamination to prevent secondary infection from occurring. Rest be assured there is no cause for concern. Do follow up regular with your Opthalmologist for assesement. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD