I am bleeding after taking Postinor 2. Had unprotected sex. Normal?

I am bleeding a week after taking Postinor 2. I had unprotected sex the day I completed my menstrual cycle; I was scared so, I decided to take the pills. A week after; I am bleeding heavily. Is this normal? WHen Is the bleeding due to stop? Thanks
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Since you took Postinor 2 in the first half of your cycle, now the irregular bleeding that you are having is the withdrawal bleeding which happens due to the high dose of hormones in the emergency contraceptive pill.
This is a common side effect of such pills. Your routine period can also be delayed by a few days. Do not worry. This is not indicative of pregnancy.
But I would advise you to use a surer way contraception like oral pills as plan B if taken repeatedly can cause you menstrual irregularities.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: I am bleeding after taking Postinor 2. Had unprotected sex. Normal? 46 minutes later
What other contraceptives can I use? Without such side effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You can use a regular contraceptive pill like Femilon, Ovral or a multiload. Your gynecologist can recommend you the one best suitable for you after a physical examination.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.