I am asthmatic. Using inhalers. Having skin allergy from 10 years. Can you guide and advice medicine?

ENT Specialist
Sir , I have been having skin allergy since last 10 odd years . But still it is not completely cured and I still use skin creams and tabs . Now i am gradually getting asthmatic and I use inhalers .
My elder brother was having asthma since birth . Now he is having skin problems over a period of 6 odd months at a fast rate. Can you guide and advice medicine ?

My exact symptoms .. Without creames and tablets , I get skin irruptions and oozing . Which causes itching and cracked and flaky skin.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 19 hours later

Thanks for the query

Both of you and your brother are suffering from a condition called Atopic Dermatitis.

Atopic dermatitis (eczema) is an itchy inflammation of the skin. It is a chronic skin condition sometimes associated with asthma or allergic rhinitis of the nose. It is a potentially debilitating condition that can compromise the quality of life. The commonest symptom is itching all over certain parts of the body. Any attempts to relieve the itch by scratching simply worsen the rash.

The cause of atopic dermatitis is not known, but the disease seems to be the result of genetic susceptibility, immune dysfunction and epidermal barrier dysfunction

Allergic skin testing will be helpful in finding out the cause of allergy.

Skin eruptions with blistering and oozing are secondary to bacterial infection for which antibiotics will be required.

Treatment is usually directed at limiting itching, repairing the skin and reducing the inflammation. Self-care measures, such as avoiding soaps or other irritants and applying creams or ointments, can help relieve itching.

You can try using soap free Oilatum soap and Oilatum moisturizer. Take bath twice a day with lukewarm water to help in reducing the inflammation and bacterial load as well. Liberal use of Oilatum moisturizer for at least 3-4 times a day will be very beneficial. You can also use steroid cream application as well as oral steroids as per your doctor’s advice to reduce the allergic component.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: I am asthmatic. Using inhalers. Having skin allergy from 10 years. Can you guide and advice medicine? 1 hour later
Can you refer or guide me towards a good allergist/ immunologist whom I can personally visit to take medical supervision . I live in Gujarat.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back

Following are the doctors who are working as Immunologist.

Kailash Hospital, Kailash Complex, Near XXXXXXX Temple, Productivity Road, Alkapuri, Vadodara, 0000-0000

Dr. Amrutbhai Prajapati
Phone: 0000

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon