I am an iv drug user. Tried shooting in the veins on the sides of ankles. Noticed swollen ankle. Any home treatment?

Cardiologist
Question
I am an iv drug user- i shoot in my hands or arms. Two months ago, i tried shooting in the veins on the sides of my ankles...i didnt like it so i stopped. I have noticed the last two weeks that my feet are swollen. the swelling goes up and down but recently my left foot is really swollen. how can i treat this at home? my left foot is red and swollen and indents are left when i push on an area. how do i treat this at home? i do not want to go to an er.its about 40 percent larger than my other foot. i just want to treat this at home
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
I read your mail with diligence.
You have probably XXXXXXX venous thrombosis and probably an infection. This can affect your lungs and heart. There are not OTC drugs available for effective treatment.
Treating these conditions at home is fraught with risk to your foot as well as to life.
Please compromise and if by following measures (measure 1 and 3) you do not see relief in 24 hours you are going to doctor for appropriate treatment:
1. Use crape bandage from foot to above ankle on the same side.
2. Never use foot veins you might have injected in capsule of the joint.
3. Use OTC Tylenol 500 mg (not more than 4 tablets in 24 hours) if you have pain and use Aspirin (regular OTC is 325 mg) one tablet a day as blood thinner.
4. If you have fever, shortness of breath please go to the doctor asap for risk to your life increases manifold and even advising treatment at home is unethical.

Use syringes which are new otherwise risk of infection is very high.

Good Luck.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: I am an iv drug user. Tried shooting in the veins on the sides of ankles. Noticed swollen ankle. Any home treatment? 42 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for responding...may i ask- what is a "crape"bandage? is that like an ace bandage? and should i wrap it tightly? and should i elevate the foot?
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Crape Bandage is an elastic bandage available in 3", 6" and stocking form any chemist. No prescription is required.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW