I am alcoholic and smoker. Undergoing the anti-rabies course of injections. Is it safe to have intercourse?

Jan 2013

Iam 50, weighs 74 kg - overweight for my height of 5 ' 4''
I has been taking medicine for hypertension for the past 14 years, habits of alcohol and smoking and TGL above borderline ( no medicines)
No history of diabtes.
I have been bitten by a stray dog recently ( F3 wound) and iam presently undergoing the anti-rabies course of injections ( XP Rab - 3/5 over). Pl advise me if it would be okay for me to engage in sex and to continue smoking and alcohol
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
I think you can continue having sexual intercourse. Smoking and alcohol can also continue, but as a physician, it is my duty to warn you about their long term side effects. At best, alcohol should be restricted to a minimum and smoking should be stopped.
Rabies virus spreads by way of nervous system from the bite tissue to the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord).
Close approximation of bite on body with nervous system along with severity of affected virus predisposes to occurrence of rabies in future.
As such there is no supportive study available addressing role of sex and alcohol with severity of rabies.
As such there is no contraindication of hypertension medicines with use of anti rabies vaccine.
As you have contact with stray dog, status of vaccinations can't be judged and treatment of F3 wound include use of anti rabies vaccine along with human rabies immunoglobulin.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: I am alcoholic and smoker. Undergoing the anti-rabies course of injections. Is it safe to have intercourse? 13 hours later
Is there any risk of the rabies virus passing on to the female sexual partner through the body fluids of the infected male partner

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 hours later
Rabies virus is primarily confined to infected animals and transmission between human beings is practically not possible.
Rabies in a infected person is life threatening and generally leads to death of victim.
Rabies virus entering at bite tissue then travels through nerve fibers to the central nervous system and ultimately by way of nerve fibers again travel up to peripheral nervous system.
So theoretically spread is possible but practically not possible as patients generally dies after development of rabies.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava