I am alcoholic. Suffering from diabetes, having high cholesterol level. Will it lead to heart disease?

Hi, I have BP 140/90, Total cholesterol 271 mg/dl, LDL 187, HDL 45, Triglyceride is 191 . My GGT is 207. My HbA1c is 6.40 as i am on diabetic medication also. I am regular drinker 2 Beer 650ml daily. My doctor is not ready to give me Cholesterol medications due to high GGT. What should i do as I am worried about any heart disease in future.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 29 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence. This is not uncommon problem we come across.
Please discontinue alcohol altogether start on zero cholesterol food (you can send me back what you prefer to eat from morning to evening I will suggest lowest possible cholesterol diet). In 3 weeks time we will see the effect of both abstinence of alcohol on your liver function as well as effect of lowest possible cholesterol diet. For all drugs which act against cholesterol have potential for liver dysfunction, we (meaning you with I) will take a decision then as you are only 35 year old well controlled diabetic you have to control cholesterol (aim is to bring LDL at least below 130 mg without any liver affect).

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW