I am alcoholic. Prescribed alprazolam .5 mg. How much mg of medicine should I take?

I have an alprazolam prescription of .5 mg twice a day. I'm male, 29 years of age, six feet tall and 78 kgs,i drink alcohol occassionaly. how much mg of alprazolam would be fatal to me?
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 38 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
The recommended initial adult dose for anxiety is 0.25–0.5 milligrams (mg) taken three times daily. This dosage may be increased every three to four days to a maximum total of 4 mg daily. Dosage for alcohol withdrawal usually totals from 2–2.5 mg daily given in several small doses throughout the day.
The starting dose for treating panic disorder is 0.5 mg three times daily. This dosage may be increased every three to four days until the total daily dosage ranges from 2–10 mg. The total amount should be divided in at least three even daily doses. Average doses for anxiety associated with depression range from 2.5–3 mg daily divided into even doses.
Because alprazolam is a nervous system and respiratory depressant, it should not be taken with other similar depressants, such as alcohol, other sedatives, sleeping pills, or tranquilizers.
Alprazolam should be used under close physician supervision in patients with history of substance abuse. Like other benzodiazepines, alprazolam can be habit-forming.
When alprazolam is combined with other sedative drugs (tranquilizers, sleeping pills) or alcohol, its depressants effects are more intense. These combinations should be avoided.
If you drink occasionally and take this it is fine, like two to three times month. I advice you try to avoid this combination as much as possible and also i advice you not to drive while on this medication.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.