I am active triathlete. Getting irregular period and felt movable lump on spine. Worrisome

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been a very active triathlete. I am currently doing crossfit program where the other day I was pretty sore after a dead lift work out.. I was massageing my back when I felt two small lumps on either side of my spine moveable, soft one felt larger than the other one.. Not painful per say irritating at best. I have also noticed this month a very irregular period. I am now starting to get concerned. Should I worry about something other than its just a weird month and I may be over training?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later

From description it seems you might having muscle or ligamentous pull over back.Two small bums on either side could be due to this.
Without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the lump. Possibilities other than this that may need to be considered include enlarged bursa, lipomas, cysts, growths from underlying connective tissue etc.
I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray of the area affected and FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of lump under his/her guidance.
Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required
• Avoid forward bending.
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.