I am a smoker and drinker. Noticed sore bruise on inner thigh above knee. What is going on?

Hello! I developed two bruises, about 1 1/2 XXXXXXX in on each inside thigh a couple of inches above each knee. They were slightly sore about a week ago...not very sore now, but have not gone away. I take atenolol for WPW, Paxil and an 81 mg aspirin daily, as well as COQ10, Omega 3, tumeric and a Centrum-type vitamin. I am 63, pretty healthy female, weigh about 175, height 5"5", active gardener. I am a smoker of about 15 a day, and have a glass of red wine every night. Just worried that these bruises appeared about a day or two apart, and in almost the same place on each thigh, and have not faded much...don't recall running into anything, etc. Many thanks! XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

In cases of unexplained bruises without any trauma one needs to investigate the coagulation status of the blood. Usually these kind of bruises occur due to subcutaneous tiny hemorrhages.

There can be various causes which can cause such hemorrhages.In your case it is very likely to be related to your blood thinning medications.I think you should see a physician to get clinical examination done.

The doctor may initially want to check your platelet count, bleeding and clotting time.

When there are such skin bruises one is also at risk of fatal XXXXXXX bleeds, so one should seek early medical attention.

Please ask if you want me to explain anything.

Follow-up: I am a smoker and drinker. Noticed sore bruise on inner thigh above knee. What is going on? 8 hours later
Thanks so much for your reply, Dr. XXXXXXX I have suspected my blood-thinning meds, but why now, as I have been on them for 25 years? Is it not unusual for a bruise to appear on EACH thigh in almost the identical spot? I do get other bruises from time to time, usually tiny round ones on the upper insides of my arms, but they always fade after a short period of time...these bruises have not faded in two weeks...
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 46 minutes later
Thanks for follow up question.

May be there are other factors, which have precipitate this side effect of blood thinners. Anything that might affect blood cells or coagulating factors can make such side effects to appear. Factors like stress, infection, other medications or unknown cause might precipitate such bruise when you are on blood thinners.

Exactly symmetrical bruises are unlikely, but they can affect same parts on either side of body.

Larger bruises might take longer to vanish, as iron in bleed gets deposited in surrounding tissue giving tissue a stain XXXXXXX

Hope this answers your question.