I am a smoker. Feeling exhausted while running or working. How to increase stamina?

Excellent

Question
i'm a smoker, and i feel very exhausted when i do some work or run, i need help in increasing my stamina, and reduce the tar accumulated inside me due to smoke and i have reduced my smoking 1 per day , plz help
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later
Smoking and alcohol cause deleterious effects in almost every organ of the body.
Your feeling very exhausted when i do some work or run is probably due to any lung or heart cause.
Smoking cause lot of respiratory problem among them early phase of bronchial asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) causes similar symptoms.
Smoking and alcohol both cause ischemic heart disease due to dyslipidemia produce by them and that ischemic heart disease can produce can produce your symptoms.
So you need to do some laboratory investigations like-routine blood count, fasting sugar, lipid profile, liver function, ECG, chest X XXXXXXX lung function test (LFT) and if required you may have to perform a stress ECHO to reach a proper diagnosis
Please consult your physician, test to be done and drugs to be taken according to his advice.
But please STOP SMOKING AND ALCOHOL COMPLETELY FROM TODAY.As this may worsen your condition and the drug response may be delayed. I glad to hear you already starting to reduce your smoking.
You try to stop it but if you fail then you can contact me we Neuropsychiatrist dealing with addiction so I can help you to leave your addiction.
After Stop of your all addiction you will regain your stamina.
I think I can make you clear about your query.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and please write a review.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Thanks,
Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: I am a smoker. Feeling exhausted while running or working. How to increase stamina? 45 hours later
Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful, but i fail everytime i quit to smoke, i need some assistance form you. i feel like, there is another person inside me who buys smokes for me(and important thing is i stay away from home due to my job, but when i am at home, i feel clean, not much urge for smoking), please tell me , what can i do about it .

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 30 minutes later

Thanks again for writing back.

As you are unable to stop smoking, you may need to motivation enhancement techniques and relapse prevention counselling. This two are basically psychotherapy. The first will enhance your motivation about not to smoke and the second will teach you the techniques to control yourself when urge for smoking come. You can get this done through a competent psychiatrist. So I encourage you to consult one located nearby your locality.

In the meantime you can use "nicotine chewing gum". When severe urge for smoking come you take a chewing gum. It will decrease your craving till its action last. You can take maximum 4 chewing gum per day. But it is only temporary treatment.

The main treatment is psychotherapy. So please consult a psychiatrist whenever feasible and till then nicotine chewing gum should be able to assist you in the process of quitting

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks,
Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: I am a smoker. Feeling exhausted while running or working. How to increase stamina? 2 days later
can i switch for electronic cigeratte?
what is your opinion on this?

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 3 hours later

Till date no worldwide study has been done to prove the efficacy of electronic cigarette so we psychiatrist not recommend it. Hence I did not mention in my earlier reply.

You may try it (preferably without nicotine). And hope it successfully puts you away from cigarette.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review for me.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: I am a smoker. Feeling exhausted while running or working. How to increase stamina? 15 hours later
Thanks for the reply,
one last question is : can you recommend me e-cig which i can buy, i mean , which company to choose, product name ?

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 2 hours later

We are not recommending you to take e- cigarette.

If you still want to buy, you can buy in the brand name of FOSCHIA at this link http://www.foschia.in/

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer, and write a review.

Wish you good health.

Thanks,
Dr Sourav Ganguly